Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Up core
This is a saga isn't it Big Grin

well I got a reply stating that I hadn't told them what OS it was (I did) or what the stopping point was (I included a photo of the screen) and that I should reflash the bios...(I did)

But I noticed they linked me to a brand new BIOS,  UCR1BM17 not the UCR1BM13 that was on their links before and which I had flashed..so ok, I'll install that
And back to installing Ubuntu 18... but it only gets as far as the key board selection before resetting...hmm

Since this is a 1GB system it may be that memory is a problem, so I checked the setup to see how much was allocated to the GPU, it was set to max...I dunno what Max is, if its not leaving enough for the code then indeed that can cause issues. So I set it to 256Mb and rebooted
Now it gets interesting, it now get much further in the install, and even as far as the installation type menu for the graphic install of Ubuntu 18...after much flash drive LED flashing and flickering it stalls......but comes back and wants a confirm..that its ok to erase 2 SD blk's...well there's no SD so I assume its talking about the eMMC....maybe the flashkey itself...hmm ok ...confirm, screen goes blank... but much flashing of the USB key is evident so something is happening.
No indications on screen for several minutes...but we'll keep waiting.

and 10 mins later, still waiting. LED on the flash is still giving a regular flash...maybe too regular. I'll leave it doing its thing and come back to it.
Brian Beuken
Lecturer in Game Programming at Breda University of Applied Sciences.
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

And back....nothing happened, so thinking I needed to get on with some student raspberry work, I moved it out of the way to let it continue undisturbed, but it reset...
so placed it in a safe spot and tried again from scratch.

This time, the screen didn't go blank and up popped a localisation menu and further menus followed.
At the point of entering username info though, it it was painful to use, input reponse was intermittent, as the cpu went off somewhere else for several seconds.
But eventually I got to input my name, computer name, passwords and set up auto log in.

And the install process now continues..as its now in the copy files mode and the LED flashing is much less regular as you might expect from a lot of different sized files being copied.
We're now at the installing system phase. Which seems to be going smoother as the mouse is now fully mobile and progress bar is moving along.. This is looking promising.

And at restart, remove the USB and...yup, we have ubuntu, time to follow the up kernel install on the wiki

And aside from an odd popup suggesting a problem after I deleted the kernel, its all working fine

Ubuntu 18.04 up and running.......finally
Brian Beuken
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

GLMark2-es2 installed, shows it as a GLES3.1 system..hmmm should be 3.2 but well see

Tests already throw up scores 3-4 times better than you get from an ARM system though the jellyfish looked terrible, some kind of error there

on screen scores are 493
off screen 1291......thats 1291 folks....3 times faster than any RK3399

So it's blisteringly fast compared to a typical ARM based system, even the Rockchip and Odroid XU4 can't match that GPU, and the CPU is way faster also
The Quad core CPU also blows away the arm chips in terms of raw cpu grunt
It still seems a touch flakey to me, an occasional stutter, however this may just be due to being only a 1GB system and needing a bit more headspace to work, I will investigage.
I bought this at under $100 (though I did need to buy a power unit) so it falls into my self imposed limits and for now at least currently reigns as the most powerful sub $100 system in the drawer of shame.

Time to run the maze demo, and that means installing mesa libs for GLES2 as well as build-essential, git and glm and stb...The only real issue I have is that my USB/network converter is quite slow...they do an optional network break out system, which might be worth a purchase if you intend to use this board seriously.

And why wouldn't you use this board seriously..........its amazing...is utterly amazing, blisteringly fast, (apart from that 1st full download)
Still reporting as 3.1 though but maybe its a driver issue. It shows tesselation shaders.....hmmm maybe thats a Mesa thing.
Its also supports normal OpenGL, thuigh GLmark2 says Only 3.0...seems unlikely for a modern board, bit its good to have options. We of course will continue with GLES2.0/3.0/3/1 for now and push it along.

This SBC supports version 1.4 of EGL
This GPU supplied by  :Intel Open Source Technology Center
This GPU supports     :OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 18.2.8
This GPU Renders with :Mesa DRI Intel® HD Graphics (Cherrytrail)
This GPU supports     :OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.10
This GPU supports these extensions :GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_occlusion_query_boolean GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_EXT_texture_format_BGRA8888 GL_OES_compressed_ETC1_RGB8_texture GL_OES_depth24 GL_OES_element_index_uint GL_OES_fbo_render_mipmap GL_OES_mapbuffer GL_OES_rgb8_rgba8 GL_OES_standard_derivatives GL_OES_stencil8 GL_OES_texture_3D GL_OES_texture_float GL_OES_texture_float_linear GL_OES_texture_half_float GL_OES_texture_half_float_linear GL_OES_texture_npot GL_OES_vertex_half_float GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode GL_OES_EGL_image GL_OES_depth_texture GL_OES_packed_depth_stencil GL_EXT_texture_type_2_10_10_10_REV GL_OES_get_program_binary GL_APPLE_texture_max_level GL_EXT_discard_framebuffer GL_EXT_read_format_bgra GL_EXT_frag_depth GL_NV_fbo_color_attachments GL_OES_EGL_image_external GL_OES_EGL_sync GL_OES_vertex_array_object GL_OES_viewport_array GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt3 GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt5 GL_EXT_robustness GL_EXT_texture_rg GL_EXT_unpack_subimage GL_NV_draw_buffers GL_NV_read_buffer GL_NV_read_depth GL_NV_read_depth_stencil GL_NV_read_stencil GL_EXT_draw_buffers GL_EXT_map_buffer_range GL_KHR_debug GL_KHR_robustness GL_OES_depth_texture_cube_map GL_OES_required_internalformat GL_OES_surfaceless_context GL_EXT_color_buffer_float GL_EXT_separate_shader_objects GL_EXT_shader_integer_mix GL_EXT_tessellation_point_size GL_EXT_tessellation_shader GL_INTEL_performance_query GL_EXT_base_instance GL_EXT_compressed_ETC1_RGB8_sub_texture GL_EXT_copy_image GL_EXT_draw_buffers_indexed GL_EXT_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_EXT_gpu_shader5 GL_EXT_polygon_offset_clamp GL_EXT_primitive_bounding_box GL_EXT_shader_io_blocks GL_EXT_texture_border_clamp GL_EXT_texture_buffer GL_EXT_texture_cube_map_array GL_EXT_texture_norm16 GL_KHR_blend_equation_advanced GL_KHR_context_flush_control GL_KHR_robust_buffer_access_behavior GL_NV_image_formats GL_OES_copy_image GL_OES_draw_buffers_indexed GL_OES_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_OES_gpu_shader5 GL_OES_primitive_bounding_box GL_OES_sample_shading GL_OES_sample_variables GL_OES_shader_io_blocks GL_OES_shader_multisample_interpolation GL_OES_tessellation_point_size GL_OES_tessellation_shader GL_OES_texture_border_clamp GL_OES_texture_buffer GL_OES_texture_cube_map_array GL_OES_texture_stencil8 GL_OES_texture_storage_multisample_2d_array GL_OES_texture_view GL_EXT_blend_func_extended GL_EXT_buffer_storage GL_EXT_geometry_point_size GL_EXT_geometry_shader GL_EXT_shader_samples_identical GL_KHR_no_error GL_OES_EGL_image_external_essl3 GL_OES_geometry_point_size GL_OES_geometry_shader GL_OES_shader_image_atomic GL_EXT_clip_cull_distance GL_EXT_disjoint_timer_query GL_MESA_shader_integer_functions GL_EXT_shader_framebuffer_fetch_non_coherent GL_MESA_framebuffer_flip_y

Well its been a long wait getting this puppy to run, but it looks like it was well worth it. This is indeed a lovely bit of kit, outperforming its bigbrother the Up^2  in CPU terms for sure, I need to check if it's outdoing the GPU, they should be on par. But won't be surprised if this is a bit faster, I'll test later.
UP^2 does GLMark2-es2 on screen (also with crap jellyfish) of  657 on screen and 1593 off..
 so the big brothers graphics are superior (and show as 3.2)

The sysbench tests on 1 thread 10,000 primes came out about the same, at 10 seconds, surprisingly, I should try and put together a proper cpu test to really compare. Bear in mind the UpCore has 4 cores to run, my Up^2 only has 2...so its going make a good attempt at being twice as fast in a decent multi threaded app. For comparison a Raspberry 3B+ takes 137.4seconds. Though sysbench seems to run a bit different on the Arm and Up boards.  I'll hunt for a really good comparative CPU benchtest. My game demos all rely on their GPU power, nothing is actually pushing the CPU so its not really possible to get a sense of CPU power with those.

So the little board might not be outperforming its bigger brother, but its certainly keeping up with it....very nice. Ah just checked the Up^2 is has Intel 505 GPU, this has a a lesser Intel 400, which explains the 3.2 vs 3.1.

There is one small issue though, 1GB memory is very low for an Ubuntu 18.04 system, so both Upboards are struggling a bit to have enough space to load and run a decent sized project. If you want one of these, get a 2 or 4Gb version
Brian Beuken