Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online sourcecode files ?
Hi, I've recently bought your book and I enjoy reading it.  (The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming using targetbased.. SBC's 1st ed.)

I've been coding alot of stuff for many years, as a hobby, but I still feel like a newbie in some areas of c/c++   Smile

I'm currently coding my own game/engine from scratch and the book has helped me getting forward with my own code.

I was wondering if there was any online sourcecode to download ?   It would really help to see how all the code in the book fits together.

I've been looking, but I can't seem to find any code to download..

Smile
Hi Keejelo

yes of course, its on the main website and can be found here
http://www.scratchpadgames.net/DownLoad.html

some of the code is being reviewed and updated, and sadly some is taking longer to fix than others due to pressures of work, but if you need anything listed in the book, just ping me I'll fix it asap.

I would caution you on using this code as the basis of an engine, its very simple code, which is unoptimised and the design is limited to simple object base mainloop projects. Its intended as a jumping off point, so that you can review working code and then consider ways to make it better. It won't work at all well for a general engine.
Hopefully once you get through it all you will start to see these flaws and think of ways to overcome them.
Brian Beuken
Lecturer in Game Programming at Breda University of Applied Sciences.
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

Thank you, very much appreciated Smile
I understand that the code is being fixed and updated over time, no stress, I am in no hurry.
Thank you for the word of caution by using the code as basis for an engine and so on, but I'm not using your code directly into my own without any more thought. Understand it is meant as a starting point.
I've got some code that I've developed over time (simple thing really), and I'm just interested in seeing your code and reading the book and other books, to maybe get ideas on how to do stuff. Right now I'm trying to figure out if OOP is really the best for games or if some component system is better, or a mix of both, but that's another story.
Thanks again and keep up the good work. :thumbs up: Smile
(04-22-2019, 10:56 AM)keejelo Wrote: I've got some code that I've developed over time (simple thing really), and I'm just interested in seeing your code and reading the book and other books, to maybe get ideas on how to do stuff. Right now I'm trying to figure out if OOP is really the best for games or if some component system is better, or a mix of both, but that's another story.

OOP has been a part of game development for a very long time, so it is nothing new.  However, since C++ is technically not an OPP programming language, using C++ does not mean you are developing in an OOP environment.   With Java and perhaps C# you certainly are.  You can code in OPP with C++ of course though. If you look under the hood of something like Unity you'll see a ton of this.

But, the concepts that are used in Brian's book are quite relevant in today's game dev.