Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello Brian!
Hi Brian!

I'm Wilson, a game designer that is currently undercover as a coder on this forum to learn more about programming.
Besides my interest on the book's theme, your apparent dedication to the forum and the laidback writing style convinced me to purchase the book Big Grin

Still preparing for this journey, although I'm trying to figure a way to travel using my Mac. If any tech savvy Mac users know a good tool setup to follow the book, please share!

Looking forward to create cool games on my pi.
Thanks for writing this book!
Thanks Wilson

I really hope you enjoy the journey, if you get stuck at anytime post a notice and I'll do my very best to help (once you have really checked your typing) D

Brian
Brian Beuken
Lecturer in Game Programming at Breda University of Applied Sciences.
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

(05-25-2018, 07:35 PM)wilson Wrote: Hi Brian!

I'm Wilson, a game designer that is currently undercover as a coder on this forum to learn more about programming.
Besides my interest on the book's theme, your apparent dedication to the forum and the laidback writing style convinced me to purchase the book Big Grin

Still preparing for this journey, although I'm trying to figure a way to travel using my Mac. If any tech savvy Mac users know a good tool setup to follow the book, please share!

Looking forward to create cool games on my pi.
Thanks for writing this book!

If you must use a mac, you should  use bootcamp or something similar to install a version of windows on it, you then only need to boot up in Windows for development and keep your MacOs for your other needs.
As much as I like my own mac for some things, MacOS is not really  much good for target based dev. Windows owns that. 

That said, its NOT impossible, its just hard to do, no nice IDE, no easy connections, etc, and one reason I use Visual GDB is to make things as easy as possible. Adding layers of difficulty by forcing yourself to use a difficult development system, just makes life hard.... who wants a hard life?
Brian Beuken
Lecturer in Game Programming at Breda University of Applied Sciences.
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

Actually, Mac has the XCode IDE which can be used for cross compiling for mobile devices as, with some work, for the RasPi.

Have a look at these links:
https://github.com/wang-bin/avbuild/wiki...ross-Build

https://www.jaredwolff.com/blog/cross-co...pberry-pi/

Also, you could use Eclipse on Mac OS like you would on other OSes.

CLion is another to look at but there have been security issues with the IntelliJ and JetBrains products, so beware of that.

Sublime Text is a nice IDE but I am not sure about the cross compile capabilities of this.

Cheers,

Jon