Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux getting in the way X11 not initialising
(10-15-2018, 06:48 AM)Brian Beuken Wrote: I don't run the programs from the console, always from Visual Studio...in principle I can add a sudo command before the run but it means messing with the commandline and I don't like to complicate things.

I knew nothing about linux when I started the book and I still know nothing about it Wink Its just not an interesting OS for me and its annoying insistance on ownership of things is frustrating to say the least.

I just want to type code, press build&run and see my efforts....anything that gets in the way of that is noise.

Funny, I have the same feelings when it comes to Windows, especially Windows 10. 

Linux and UNIX take an opposite approach from what MS Windows does, in that with Linux/UNIX access is limited to prevent undesired messing with the vital parts of the OS, or Kernel.  Windows on the other hand leaves the door, or rather Window open for everyone to join in and have a party on the system, hence the need for the multitude of virus checkers and constant patch upgrades.  However, I've worked in environments where the Windows systems were so locked down that you could barely read a text file without getting proper authority. 

The thing with Linux is that there are so many variations of the theme that what one learns on one version does not necessarily apply to another.  The main being between the Fedora based OSes such as Red Hat and CentOS and the Debian based that includes Ubuntu. 

The odd thing is that game dev started on the Unix/Linux based systems (or early derivatives) as well as on the Apple systems and Microsoft is a rather new player in the arena.  MS, or those that developed with it like Carmack just took things to an extreme with OpenGL and DirectX where the Linux and UNIX developers went another path. 

Although, it would seem that mobile devices have come back to Linux based kernels and Apple as platform for developing games.

It's all good though.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Linux getting in the way X11 not initialising - by jomoengineer - 10-16-2018, 07:42 AM