Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Optimizations
Readers of the book will have noted that many times I pointed out that there were better ways to do many of the concepts raised.

In fact the way most of the code was written it is very obvious that there are better ways, but I took a decision not to go into much detail on that, simply to allow new users the chance to get totally comfortable with getting their code to work. Forcing people to optimize code before they have fully understood what they are doing is a recipe for disaster, so for me it made sense not to get into that in the book, just show the basic code, get it working and once its working, then is the time to explore how to make it work better. 

It would be nice to have a discussion here on how we can improve the performance of our projects (by quite some amount) if we were to use a more effective render system, and implement some multi core work. I'd love to hear your thoughts on how you can improve things, and show some results to inspire others to really get that code moving.
Brian Beuken
Lecturer in Game Programming at Breda University of Applied Sciences.
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

Messages In This Thread
Optimizations - by Brian Beuken - 02-20-2018, 10:59 AM
RE: Optimizations - by Brian Beuken - 04-14-2018, 04:55 PM
RE: Optimizations - by Brian Beuken - 04-21-2018, 02:57 AM
RE: Optimizations - by Brian Beuken - 04-25-2018, 02:22 PM