Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
David Jones creator of Finders Keepers in Retro Gamer #185
Yes, 35 years is even more impressive. I've worked at a couple Tech companies in my career where there were folks that had been at the same company for over 40 years which I could not even imagine; I get itchy after just a couple of years. However, I am seeing these folks being pushed out more and more to bring in the younger generation. With the high burn out rate that the game industry has, it is nice to see folks that have the stick to it-ness to stay in the Games for such a period of time.

I've started to listening to the Game Dev Unchained podcast and it was quite disheartening to hear them mention in one ep that they themselves have not seen anyone over the age of 50 in the Game companies they have worked in. I suppose this makes sense. But, then again, to see someone like John Carmack still making a dent in the game business does show there are older folks that can still kick it in games.

The movie business seems to be another medium that is reviving the old retro games where movies like Rampage, Ready Player One and even Ralph Breaks the Internet gives folks like Brian Colin (The creator of Rampage) some press. He is another that is still actively working in the game business producing games.

Back to Mr. Jones, I really like reading about origin stories like that of David Jones. Here is someone with little training in software and was tossed into it while working as a quantity surveyor. Also, his mentioning gaining valuable training from typing in games from books and fighting through the issues with that is something I can certainly relate to. At least he did not give up and fought through it to eventually create some really cool games for the masses. It is a really a good lesson for others like myself who are still learning this stuff. It is is a great article.

I certainly wish I had made the leap into games when I had first jumped into the Tech business many moons ago.

Messages In This Thread
RE: David Jones creator of Finders Keepers in Retro Gamer #185 - by jomoengineer - 11-30-2018, 06:38 PM