Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
well thats an eye opener.
After some experimentation, and a lot of wtf and other colourful scottish vocabulary, I've concluded that its waaay too much effort trying to render on an older Raspberry with X11. Using the onboard libs, it crashes out with a segmentation error trying to create an EGL surface. I can find no reason for it, or means to fix it, and there seems to be little research on line about it (unlikely to be now that the 4 is here).
Maybe newer than Jessie drivers controlled by the new static ones can't handle X11? However using mesa libs (back to non static versions) it does work, but it emulates...very very slowly, I don't have a Jessie version of Raspbian around and tbh, feel it would be a waste of time to set one up just to confirm my theory.. the fix is simply to treat the older systems as DispmanX displays, besides, the older Raspberries keep their drivers in different dirs as well.

So..while X11 may indeed be possible, and it would be cool to have a single config for all SBC's including Raspberry, I think its best to maintain the 2 config system of DispmanX display for Rpi0,1,2,3,3+ and X11 on Rpi4 and other SBC.

I'll be posting a new graphics class and simple demo, containing init systems for these 2 variations based on an OLDRASP preprocessor label very soon.
Brian Beuken
Lecturer in Game Programming at Breda University of Applied Sciences.
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

Messages In This Thread
well thats an eye opener. - by Brian Beuken - 01-22-2020, 10:26 AM
RE: well thats an eye opener. - by Brian Beuken - 01-23-2020, 12:21 PM
RE: well thats an eye opener. - by jomoengineer - 01-26-2020, 08:55 AM
RE: well thats an eye opener. - by Brian Beuken - 01-26-2020, 04:22 PM