Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving over to Raspberry Pi 3B+
I've been sticking with my 3B for a while just to make sure all is compatible and well, but its time now to start using the 3B+.
There's no extra graphic power in this yet, (there maybe a slight upgrade soon), but mainly its the faster CPU and networking that I'm going to enjoy.

There are one or 2 minor issues, all my previous Pi's are mixed SD's using Jessie and Stretch, in other words they were Jessie versions which upgraded but never lost the Jessie files. So my older projects still worked fine on them with the old simpler lib files.
But the 3B+ has to use the new  Stretch Raspbian and has to use the new Stretch libs...so some things don't behave quite the same.

It's the small things, like I have to use my keyboard differently (its always the damn keyboard)

Anyway if anything comes up I'll let y'all know.
Brian Beuken
Lecturer in Game Programming at Breda University of Applied Sciences.
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

hmmm now I have an odd issue.

The RPI3b+ went a bit mad, and I had to re-install raspbian, which I downloaded from Raspberry.org as usual to get the latest version
Set up no problem, then cloned stb and glm into the home directory

That should be all I need for the Magpi test projects. But I am wrapping up the projects which have given me a bit of grief trying to make them mega simple when some complexity would have made my life easier...and have discovered that nothing now builds on the 3B+, the GLM lib reports multiple errors on any use of it.... the 3B....even after an update and upgrade and new GLM...is fine. I'm confused.

I'm very confused. Will work on the 3B again for now, put the code into Code::Blocks and make sure all works on both systems...if not...gulp!
Brian Beuken
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

hmmm its not the 3B+ itself, its the new version of Raspbian, I burned a new image onto a spare SD and fired up the 3B with it installed STB and GLM and sure enough the compiler threw out the same couple of hundred errors each time it tried to use a GLM function.

Got no idea.....
Brian Beuken

Isn't the Pi is fun.

This happens occasionally with the Raspberry Pi where an upbreak for one board messes up another. 

Hopefully you are not using the same uSD card for both boards since the image is different between the 3B and 3B+.

The packages should be the same between the two boards except where this is a hardware difference so it is interesting that one shows GLM lib errors and the other does not.  

What errors are you seeing?
Normally the raspberries are pretty secure, so this is unusual, the image is the same, but there is some internal configuration that goes on when you boot it up to make it work for each type of raspberry. I had to make a new SD for my 3B+ and thats when this issue came up.  Going back to the 3B was painless and all worked but I was curious to locate the cause, and narrowed it down to either the hardware or the OS. So I used a new SD for the 3B to avoid losing the working version.

It does not seem to be hardware it does in fact appear to relate to the version of Raspbian, but no clue why.... very frustrating. For now I'll keep my old SD in the 3B and finish my projects, not sure if I can send them to MagPi though, if they don't build on all versions of Raspbian it will confuse the readers. I'll try to build them on code::blocks to see what happens.
I also posted on the raspberry.org forums to see if anyone else has a clue?

There errros are all similar to this.
error : 'constexpr const T& glm::vec<2, T, Q>::operator[](glm::vec<2, T, Q>::length_type) const' cannot be overloaded

1> GLM_FUNC_DECL GLM_CONSTEXPR T const& operator[](length_type i) const;

and relate to every use of a glm concept.
Brian Beuken

oh and just to make it more confusing, I used an old version of GLM in the standard made demo, where the GLM is sent with the rest of the code, and it works fine.
So some incompatability between GLM and new Raspbian...not a clue what or how to fix at the moment.
Brian Beuken

I wonder if there is a difference between the version of GCC that is running. Have you tried adding " -std=c++11" when compiling?

There is a tentative fix listed for glm and constexpr that was posted less than a month ago, but I am not sure if this is what you are seeing:
https://github.com/g-truc/glm/commit/68c...1415647bbb
it was indeed constexpr errors so I'll try that fix later

yes I do set-std to C++11

I'll let you know if htis fix works, its interesting there is a need for it
Brian Beuken

I'm curious, are you setting the OpenGL desktop to Full KMS, Fake KMS or Legacy from raspi-config?

I've just got my 3B+ up and running with the latest Raspian and was interested in how you have yours set-up.
Legacy, I don't trust the OpenGL, it has too much emulation.
Brian Beuken