Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Odroid on the way the H2
And what a monster it is, we were all expecting the new N2 to be unveiled soon, but no, out of the blue they've only gone and announced the all new entierly unexpected Odroid H2

And...its an intel chip, a quad core Celeron not too far from the Up Core I have...

Unusually for an SBC it won't come with Ram (unless you buy it) it takes Sodim's as used in laptops. 

No details yet on price, it might be too much, but its interesting to see that Hardkernel are moving into Intel chips, they are generally far more powerful than any ARM, but of course gobble amps in the process.

If its under $100 I'll certainly buy one to try out but it really offers me nothing I can't do on my PC, so not quite sure what the point of this, other than a very low cost all in one pocket computer.. We shall see in a month or so.
If it takes off, I guess I will need to write a book on coding on full OpenGL to support it.

Brian Beuken
Lecturer in Game Programming at Breda University of Applied Sciences.
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

Yeah, I've heard a ton of good things regarding the Odroid boards but I have yet to grab one. Although it has an Intel Processor, I may have to look at this once it is out.

The Raspberry Pi is a popular board for create Retro Game consoles as well as full up Arcade consoles, but this might be an even better option.
hmmm too expensive at $111 without ram, you really need 2 SO-DIMM's so $72 on top and power $11.50 and a case with a fan, another $10-15.

So all told it will certainly be a mega powerful SBC, but really its just a low power PC and I can't quite see the point. Its not for me, I'll wait for the N2 to come out from them, if its still in the works.
But if you really need a $200 credit card PC (well small brick once you add case)... its probably going to outperform the similarly specced Up2 board (which I like but have issues with)
https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-h2/
Brian Beuken
Lecturer in Game Programming at Breda University of Applied Sciences.
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's