Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pirate copy
well that didn't take long...
there seems to be a pirate kindle version doing the rounds, its cheap, so I can't blame people for buying it, but its very screwed up, the formatting is all over the place and it is barely readable

I have reported it to the publisher hopefully we can get it removed, but if you bought it, please insist on a refund and don't let these cheats spoil your expereince.
Brian Beuken
Lecturer in Game Programming at Breda University of Applied Sciences.
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

boy Amazon are hard work. here's a transcript of my on line conversation.

Me: I have reported a copyright infringement 3 weeks ago, nothing has been done and a pirate copy of my book continues to be sold on the Amazon.co.uk site. Attempts to get a response from you result in being sent back to infringement notification form.
You are now connected to Ranjan from Amazon.com
Ranjan: Hello, my name is Ranjan. I'm here to help you today.
I am checking on this
Me: ok, and can you access info on what is happening to my infringement report
Complaint ID: 4418204032
Ranjan: Brian, you've reached Amazon.com support. Since you have reported it to Amazon.co.uk, I would request to please check with Amazon.co.uk representative
Me: amazon.co.uk facebook directed me here
Ranjan: I wasn't able to find any case with the above case ID.
Chat support is available in Amazon.co.uk too
Me: do you have a link please
Ranjan: You can reach them by phone, toll free, from many countries by clicking the Contact Us option on the Amazon.co.uk Kindle Support pages at:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/kindlesupport
From United Kingdom: 0800 496 2449 (free)
International: +44 203 356 6212 (fees may apply)
Me: my issue is not with a kindle app/device or content. my issue is specifically with an infringement of copyright
Ranjan: Okay, let me connect the chat to a member of our concerned team to help you further regarding it. Kindly be on hold
A Customer Service Associate will be with you in a moment.
You are now connected to Diana from Amazon.com
Diana: Hello, my name is Diana. Please give me a moment to review the previous correspondence.
Could you please provide the order number/
Me: what order number, did you not read the previous informaiton....
Diana: I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.
Upon checking I see that you have issues related with Amazon.co.uk. In this case I'll help you with our partner site
Me: oh for pity sake, what keywords do I have to use to get a human responder ?
Diana: I'm so sorry for the misunderstanding, actually I'm a human I can understanding you.
Me: I want information regarding Complaint ID: 4418204032 this is a pirate copy of a book I wrote and I want removed from sale...do you understand that?
it relates to item B07C51B7T2
Diana: Yes I understand that Brian, but its information will only be available in UK site So we are unable to view any details regarding this. I'm extremely sorry Brian. can you please contact our partner site Amazon.co.uk?
Me: what a farce. Amazon, if you do keep a record of these conversations, I do hope you take note of how utterly your system fails...

After several attempts Amazon.co.uk on facebook gave me a link to a call back system, which failed to call back the 1st two times, but eventually I got through to a call centre in India, where a confused young man asked for my details and order number....again.
I explained that this was a legal issue, an I wanted to know the status of my infringement notice, which he checked, and replied that they had the form, and would reply in 2-3 days, I had to ...politely... explain that the original notice was sent 3 weeks ago with the same response of 2-3 days and if I didn't get some response on this there was a real chance that someone was going to get their asses sued....which promoted a response of we can't talk to you if you use profanity.

After explaining that sue your asses is in fact a legitimate legal term Wink I explained the very real serious nature of the issue and I wanted to know why this pirate copy of the book was still on sale. I was put on hold for 10 mins, while he checked... and to his credit it seems he did, he tells me that they note the original notice and that the book should have been removed and a mail sent to inform me.. I should be contacted within the next 24hours with the results of their checks and actions.

We'll see...I am not holding my breath, Amazon have no real system for personal communication and trying to discuss something out side of the standard issues is a truly horrible experience.
Brian Beuken
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

finally been removed, if you have a pirate copy, make sure you ask Amazon for a refund.
Brian Beuken