Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PhysX
Nvidias flagship physics system is now available as open source.

I've not tried it yet on Raspberry and to be honest I kinda think its too much for a Raspberrry as it is really designed for much more powerful systems, but if you find that Bullet isn't cutting it for you, then try it out. I'll add it to my list of things to try out in 2022 Big Grin

https://developer.nvidia.com/physx-sdk
Brian Beuken
Lecturer in Game Programming at Breda University of Applied Sciences.
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

Cool!

At first I was thinking since PhysX runs on the Nintendo Switch it should run no problem on the RasPi but the switch has a Nvidia Maxwell 256-core GPU which makes sense that it can run PhysX.  The GPU on the RasPi might be a bit lacking to run this but I am sure some one has taken a shot at getting PhysX to run on a Pi.
Yeah the Switch is actually quite a beast on its GPU side and it does have compute shaders so the GPU is usable for this kind of heavy maths.

For lesser systems it will run on the CPU only, very few SBC's have compute shaders, so its all based on the ARM, with some SIMD/Neon enhancments, but it can also run multi core, so you can get the raspberry to use a lot of currrently unused power (though it will get hot).

Its also quite a large engine so not sure how will it will fit in an SBC's usually limited memory.

Personally I think its overkill, if you need such precise physics in an app, you shuld be using a much more powerful system.

but its really good to see an industry standard system becoming open source like this.
Brian Beuken
Lecturer in Game Programming at Breda University of Applied Sciences.
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's