Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Costly Software?
Very happy to see another good review on Amazon.co.uk 4* from a reader called Lee

I hope he comes to the forum soon, as there's an error in his review which states that the software we use can cost 100's or 1000's of pounds after 30days.

This isn't the case, VisualGDB is indeed only free for 30days but the cost of the basic Linux version thereafter is 89euros ($109), with a 50% discount for students or academics, that really is a fair price for the massive boost in productivity it gives you.

But even if you don't want to use VisualGDB, I have detailed elsewhere how to use Visual Studio with Linux Dev (free for the community version of VS) so you can still work on a target system for no money.

I hope Lee joins us soon so we can show him how to code for free.

Btw if anyone else has bought the book from Amazon or an online bookseller, a review (even if you didn't like it, feel free to be honest) would be much appreciated as it helps to spread the book around and lets people get a better idea if its the book for them.
Brian Beuken
Lecturer in Game Programming at Breda University of Applied Sciences.
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's