Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dragonboard 410c
Had this for quite some time but found it a bit hard to get going due to poor software, but thats changed, its got a bit more mature and has a decent degree of support now.  They have a decent Debian (Jessie) and Mesa Libs go on. It actually has GLMark2-es2 on board when installed, and does seem to run pretty well through the intital runs, though it never completes the cycle so gives no score. But it seems very fast. Its an OpenGLES3.0 system so it should be pretty nippy.

Of course no native drivers on board, so Mesa is doing the work and it does seem to be emulating a lot.

Test code does build but with a bit of effort, it can't run more than 1 core at a time, it freezes if you try to do 2  or more, so clearly needs a serious heatsink to get some decent performance out of it.

Anyway, demo runs, its ok, no real problems, but only at 26-30fps, which is way below what that GPU is capable of. So while I know this to be a beast, until proper drivers come out its not going to be high on my list boards to play with.

I'll keep an eye open for updates though, if it gets its GPU sorted and maybe has a better heatsink fitted it could be really nice.
Brian Beuken
Lecturer in Game Programming at Breda University of Applied Sciences.
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

Updating a few of the GLES3.0 boards, and returning to this, its taken a few hours, (why!!!!!, how on earth is that a good thing) but I finally got a version of Debian Buster installed which should be uptodate, oh wait, the upgrade will take 30 mins.....and of course it has errors....try again.

anyway...finally...

GLMark2-es2 is not available as standard on this build, but GLMark2 surprisingly is, and it seems to run moderatly well, giving on screen scores of 73 and off screen 143
I decided to try and install GLMark2-es2 to see if the results were different it still struggles to run all its cores at once, throttling back quite a bit though, even though it does not seem to get especially hot, so the compile for GLMark2 takes quite a while on 1 core

But compile it did and on screen gles2.0/3.0 version gives on screen values of 65 and 144, so no exciting difference

The Demo code with res change works fine though, though it is emulated and fails to get a config with AA buffers, but the demo is running pretty decent at 1024x768 and better at 800x600 res but can't seem to detect keys and the lack of multi core compile due to throttle and very slow network (using a usb-rj45 converter) its a little hard to get excited about it as a target system.

Its going back in the drawer again, sadly, I really like this board in principle, it has a lot of very cool features on it, but its still not up to snuff as a graphics system.
Brian Beuken
Lecturer in Game Programming at Breda University of Applied Sciences.
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's