Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Jetson....
Okay, cool. however, are you getting the OpenGL windows to pop up in your ssh session or on the attached HDMI Screen on the nano? I remember that you have a environment where you have a separate screen for the SBC, so I want understand if that is how your running this in the nano instance.
oh no not on the PC, only on the nano
I've never really tried to put an xscreen on the PC.
Brian Beuken
Lecturer in Game Programming at Breda University of Applied Sciences.
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

Really am loving my Jetson, a few students are using one to do their projects on, and I had to hook mine up to test their work, in the meantime it got me looking at just how much more powerful the GPU is compared to a RPi4....honestly there's no comparison... its comparing a snail with a jet plane.
It also just feels much more robust generally, the OS is updated regularly, as are the drivers I belive, and the thing just shifts polys around like a beast.

I put a jumper on the power system to see if it would run a bit faster with a Jack rather than an Micro SD and the answer is no.... maybe you can overclock it a bit more with the jack but in standard mode the jack does not change the power levels at all.

The Corona lock down means I'm doing a lot more work at my desk, and the fact my students are using SBC's to develop some graphics work, means I am getting to see some interesting and at times inspiring work being done which I'll try to share here. We're not letting them use anything above GLES2.0 for now though so the Jetsons and Pi4's full potential is not yet being realised, but I hope a few of them get the bug and share the results here.
Brian Beuken
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

Hey Brian,

Cool! Yeah, there really is no comparing the Jetson to the other SBC such as the RasPi; its sort of in a class all its own. It is a bit power hungry especially when using the carrier board. I'm not sure how it compares to something like a Snapdragon 865 as far as power so it will be interesting to see if it is used in some sort of mobile device in the future.

As I had posted previously, the Jeston Nano does have some Vulkan support which something like a RasPi does not.

Are you using the updated version of the Nano or the previous rev. I have I guess the first release and am not sure if it makes sense to update.
I didn't know there was an updated version, so guess I am using the 1st version
Brian Beuken

Yeah, there is a A02 and a B01 version. The older A02 version has a single MIPI camera socket where the newer B01 has 2. I unfortunately have the A02 since I got it when it first came out.

See:
https://www.arducam.com/nvidia-jetson-na...al-camera/

https://developer.download.nvidia.com/as...O9LLpJhGvc
During the recent GTC 2020 event, NVIDIA announced an even cheaper version of the NVIDIA Jetson Nano that has 2GB vs 4GB of the original and minus some peripherals. The NVIDIA Jetson Nano 2GB Development Kit is on PreOrder for just $59.  This is a pretty good deal considering what the Kit comes with.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/autonomous-...-projects/
(10-05-2020, 05:01 PM)jomoengineer Wrote: During the recent GTC 2020 event, NVIDIA announced an even cheaper version of the NVIDIA Jetson Nano that has 2GB vs 4GB of the original and minus some peripherals. The NVIDIA Jetson Nano 2GB Development Kit is on PreOrder for just $59.  This is a pretty good deal considering what the Kit comes with.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/autonomous-...-projects/
oh wow.. I missed that... thats amazing, all that graphic power for $59 is astonishing.
Brian Beuken