Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, you're bypassing Unity?
Recently I went to a local Game Developer Meetup that I have been signed up to but not attended yet and it was a bit interesting. The main draw was that there was a person from the local EA Mobile group who spoke about sound in games. After the event, I mingled with some folks and when they asked me what I was working on, I mentioned being interested in developing with OpenGL-ES.  This caused some eye brow raising and a question: "So, you're bypassing Unity?"  It seemed a bit foreign to these folks that anyone would use anything other than a tool such as Unity to do any sort of development.

I do find this interesting though since there were folks calling themselves Game Coders but did not actually code; they just used what Unity gave them.

Is this common?
Sadly yes.

Its something i have a big issue with. The rise of the "Game Developer", ie someone who uses an engine to create games but has little real understanding of the code behind it or how to expand it to do more.

This is fine though, it brings exciting game ideas to the market that would not normally make it, but it has resulted in my view, in people taking the "easy" road to game development and avoiding what they think is a hard topic, ie coding.
fortunately there are still lots of people who want to learn to code and make new engines, or write their own, they understand the complexity of coding and get a kick out of it. So i will keep working to stimulate those "developers" and hope they can go on to make life eaiser in the future for the ...other ones Big Grin
Brian Beuken
Lecturer in Game Programming at Breda University of Applied Sciences.
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

In the long run, I believe it would be best for them to learn at least some aspect of true programming just in case they find themselves in need of another job. This also expands their marketability in the long run.

However, to truly get the most out of something like Unity, it is best to be able to get down and dirty and learn to code in C#, C++, UnityScript or perhaps Python to improve the performance of the game.