Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pine Pinebook
the various mali drivers you listed are great, but only available to those who build their own OS, I have no interest in doing that, I need my targets to be usable off the shelf.
I've been given a list of 4 OS's that claim to have GPU drivers, hopefully that will mean gpu libs and include files too.
Brian Beuken
Lecturer in Game Programming at Breda University of Applied Sciences.
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

Have you looked at Armbian? I'm running this on a Tinker Board and it seems to run fine. I was able to down load the OpenGL-ES 3.0 examples and build and run them locally without issue.

https://www.armbian.com/pinebook-a64/
not yet, I'll get to it soon, there is a version available.
Surprised you got ES3.0 to run the Mali 400's are ES2.0 only I suspect there was some emulation going on.

edit oh, you were talking about ES3 on the tinker board.yes armbian is cool on the Tinkerboard Big Grin
Brian Beuken
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

So, how did it turn out with the Pinebook(s)? Did you accomplish what you needed?

I noticed the Pinebook Pro is available now, at least in the US. Are you looking to purchase one of these?

Cheers,

Jon
yes, its actually rather a nice little system, but very slow. It will work for the project I have in mind, and we're now looking to see if we can get that set up, when I get back to work from summer holidays.
Brian Beuken

Your post reminded me to try out some updated OS's on the PB and see what the current state of play was on Graphics...not expecting there to be much... But when I fired it up, I got a power light and then it died. Since its been in the drawer for over a month, I assumed the battery had just died, so put it on charge, but sadly next day, still nothing, it appears to be bricked....hmmmm posted on the forums, so we'll see if I've missed something.
Brian Beuken

Well, that is a bummer. Have you tried one of the original OSes you had running on it? This is not like the PiTop so I don't think you can pull the board out and boot it separately.

Hopefully it is something simple.
Can't get it to boot at all, no power to the SBC, the battery isn't taking a charge...bummer indeed
Brian Beuken

I got it booting again, had to take the back off, and disconnect the battery while power was on... apparently its a known bug on the Pinebook, if he batter goes totally flat the charger circuits need a bit of a shock to get them going again. anyway, its working again, I'll review a couple of more uptodate images soon.
Brian Beuken

Oh, cool. It's good to hear that you got it working again.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on the system.