Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raspbian Buster
So there's a new version of Raspbian, which the Raspberry 4 needs to operate, but those of you who still have older Pi's will probably want to try it out, so here's the basics 

I set up Buster on a Pi 3B+
It's initial set up is a bit more fussy than previous versions but its all fine aside from insisting I must speak Dutch if I set my locale to Amsterdam...I wish it would understand that being in 1 part of the world does not mean you speak that language.. Fortunately there is an English only tick box.

It does seem a tiny bit clunky in use on the 3B+ maybe it expects a bit more power to run, but thats not the Raspberry way, so will see how it gets on after its finished updating and installing.

And that took a while but, yes it seems a bit smoother now.

SSH and VNC are disabled by default so you need to enable them if you are using headless systems or coding on a PC

STB and GLM need to be installed 1st and bullet physics

But...thats it... all libs are in the same places, and it builds and runs demo's fine. It still needs the _static libs of Stretch but no problems at all getting things up and running.

Interesting to note checking the libs folder there is currently no GLES3.0 folder... that maybe due to installing itself on a 3B+ I'll see if it installs the libs on a 4 when my monitor cables come.

So..all good..at least for my level of usage (ie not so much on the Pi itself). If there are issues I'm sure users will find them. But on a 3B+ at least Buster seems to work just fine.
Brian Beuken
Lecturer in Game Programming at Breda University of Applied Sciences.
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

Messages In This Thread
Raspbian Buster - by Brian Beuken - 06-26-2019, 11:02 PM
RE: Rasbian Buster - by Brian Beuken - 06-26-2019, 11:06 PM
RE: Raspbian Buster - by Brian Beuken - 06-30-2019, 03:30 PM
RE: Raspbian Buster - by Brian Beuken - 07-02-2019, 12:36 AM