Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Odroid N2
Going to be a busy month for me with lots of new systems coming in.  Latest is this beast from Odroid
https://secure.reichelt.nl/odroid-n2-6x-...stct=pos_0

Happy to see that Reichelt in Germany has stocks and getting them from Korea is a bit hit and miss... 

It should be here in a few days, so I'll try to do a review at the weekend along with a couple of other new arrivals I'm expecting.
Brian Beuken
Lecturer in Game Programming at Breda University of Applied Sciences.
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

According to DHL it was successfully delivered today around 10pm

it wasn't.

this is worrying.
Brian Beuken
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

got it, it was delivered to a neighbour and they didn't put a card in the door.

hmmm no power supply though, assumed it would be supplied as there were no options to buy on the Reichelt site.... no matter I have a few that can do 12v
Brian Beuken

Nice machine, very fast, and does run GLmark2 offscreen at 400, so nippy

But sadly I cannot get any mesa libs to install on the minimal ubuntu OS which is currently the only one with hardware acceleration....I guess it has to go in the drawer for a while until the software is a bit more stable...looks promising though.
But I don't have a clue how to fix this, I'll just wait for an OS update that does.

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libgles2-mesa-dev : Depends: libegl1-mesa-dev but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libglvnd-dev but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
Brian Beuken

revisiting this after a while and sadly its not moved forward much, as far as graphics are concerned, theres a lovely GPU in there in the G52 which I think is 6 core but so far no way to access it, or even emulate it. Mesa libs just don't install and no GPU accelerationis available for X11 and I have not worked out how to do anything else.

I really expected there to have been some progress in the last 6 months but aside form the usual, "here's how to build your own OS with 70% functionality (but thats all I needed so am not doing any more)", there's no sign of a nice stable version of Ubuntu or Debian with drivers like the XU4 enjoys...strange.
Odroid do seem to be working on a DRM version and have a version of GLMark2 up and running, but no idea how that will filter down into a usable OS.
I kinda like the idea of a DRM/Wayland version cos its something I want to know how to set up...but its taking a while.

Back in the drawer, which is upsetting as this potentially is the beast of all ARM systems.... give it time.
Brian Beuken