Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Banana Pi M4
Oh why do I do this to myself.. I only bought it because it has an interesting Mali 470 GPU, but of course no drivers...and its slow and sometimes unwilling to boot

It does have 8Gb eMMc on board so at least its not going to take up an SD card in the drawer of shame. (if I can actually get the eMMc loaded) Though a 2GB version is available mine is a 1GB and only 566MB are available for use,making it choke on multi core tasks as it runs out of memory. I'm guessing some of that memory is also going to the GPU but no real way to tell

Anyway.. I got this months ago and failed to get it to work, this time though after a few false starts it booted up with a fairly recent version of Debian Buster on it.

But it is painfully slow... Nothing useful on the very slim OS to test it out, no glmark2, but after an update which took an age, I was able to install glmark2 and try to run some tests.

Sadly I wasn't able to get the usual maze demo to run...oh well it had issues with EGL that might be fixable

GLmark2-es2 took ages to build locking up frequently even running the builds on only 1 core. It also failed to authenticale EGL
but it managed to run all the tests 

And..... of course it emulated, so runs very slow on and off screen:
On screen score of 21
off screen 31

I might try it with the ubuntu mate version too....someday

So basically, its a dog... don't buy it unless your project specifically calls for it.
Brian Beuken
Lecturer in Game Programming at Breda University of Applied Sciences.
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

I ran it with ubuntu 18, it has glmark2 on board, but it still emulates and runs like a dog.
Brian Beuken
Lecturer in Game Programming at Breda University of Applied Sciences.
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's