Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SBC Game Jams
So, I am looking to join a local extended Game Jam in January that goes for 9 months and was thinking of trying to get a SBC OpenGL ES game going.  Most folks seem to want to use Unity and perhaps Unreal Engine but these seem a bit over kill for a small board. Plus, I do not have a PC that can run either, oddly enough. I'm also trying to avoid anything like PyGame or SDL, although these are interesting as well.

So, anyone have any experience with Game Jams and using a board like a RasPi or similar to create a game?

I'm curious about any thoughts folks might have.

Cheers,

Jon
Im trying very hard to get something like that off the ground at my university, but sadly its not attracting much interest.
Brian Beuken
Lecturer in Game Programming at Breda University of Applied Sciences.
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

So, I finally decided to join a game jam but instead of the typical 2 day weekend jam this is a Progressive one that covers about 8 months. Less stress I suppose.

One thing, instead of selecting one of the more popular game engines, GoDot was decided on which I guess is an up and coming one. It does create code in OpenGL ES 2.0 and 3.x so I'm looking to see if I can bounce something to a RasPi or other SBC. However, currently the GoDot folks are looking to move to using Vulkan which will cause an issue for most legacy devices.
(03-01-2020, 07:13 PM)jomoengineer Wrote: So, I finally decided to join a game jam but instead of the typical 2 day weekend jam this is a Progressive one that covers about 8 months.  Less stress I suppose.

One thing, instead of selecting one of the more popular game engines, GoDot was decided on which I guess is an up and coming one.   It does create code in OpenGL ES 2.0 and 3.x so I'm looking to see if I can bounce something to a RasPi or other SBC.  However, currently the GoDot folks are looking to move to using Vulkan which will cause an issue for most legacy devices.

I believe there is a raspberry output for Godot, ask them about it, its not on public release but someone I know was tinkering with it.
Brian Beuken
Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming: Using Target-based Development on SBC's 

Yeah, I had see the RasPi version listed somewhere but have not tried it yet. I did try GoDot on a Linux PC and it did not fare to well. It has an issue with the Editor window locking up constantly and I just decided it was not worth messing with.
its a work in progress, they are very reponsive to issues and fix as quick as they can.
Brian Beuken